Pages

Search This Blog

March 31, 2014

Wireless driver doesn't work after upgrade to next kernel version

This happens with me always - I upgrade to latest version on linux (once to 3.5.47 for a power management related bug causing system to hang and next time with system upgrade).

The most common behavior of my  system post upgrade is wireless doesn't work.

[Aside: I resort to booting older version of kernel with wireless working mostly till I fix this issue]

I now have a vague understanding (what follows this line!) of why this happens and what is necessary to fix this.

Apparently, wireless driver is a dynamic loadable kernel module and I will have to build/rebuild it for the linux kernel version in place.

This happens with a series of steps -

1) Use "lspci" to identify the wireless hardware in the machine. This helps is googling for appropriate drivers.

2) It always happens that you will have the version that came with your working distro. So, all it takes is rebuild for new version if this doesn't happen with upgrade which I believe is happening.

3) Use "sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic build-essential dkms" to bring the required tools to appropriate version

4) Finally do "sudo apt-get install --reinstall bcmwl-kernel-source" to rebuild the wireless module.

5) Above command builds the module and installs them in the following location

bala@pc01:/lib/modules$ find . -name 'wl.ko'
./3.5.0-47-generic/updates/dkms/wl.ko
./3.5.0-48-generic/updates/dkms/wl.ko

Aside: All the above is based on my understanding of what goes on so far. It could be entirely wrong and I may edit this post as I realize the above is wrong.

References:
1) http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2123154
2) http://askubuntu.com/questions/161316/how-do-i-get-my-bcm43228-card-working-in-mainline-kernel-3-4-or-higher

No comments:

Post a Comment