Pages

Search This Blog

January 23, 2016

Ubuntu hangs during boot after upgrade to 14.04

After I upgraded my laptop to Ubuntu 14.04, first the system failed to start because GRUB couldn't start for whatever reason. It needed "boot repair" to fix the problem.

After the above issue was fixed, the system started booting but was hung in the splash screen. Ctrl + Alt + F helped to look at the boot messages and I noticed that it was stuck after outputting "Restoring resolver state". This thread pointed me to a boot level setting to add "acpi=force" and then this helped boot to continue.

Next, the boot sequence again stalled after outputting "Starting CUPS printing spooler/server". After some googling around, I found that I could open a tty using Ctrl + Alt + F2. Opened a terminal and tried /etc/init.d/lightdm restart as pointed out in this thread.

It brought up the login screen. I then learnt that I should specify full path of lightdm i.e. /usr/sbin/lightdm in /etc/X11/default-window-manager for this to work properly because lightdb doesn't land in /usr/bin/lightdm always (Reference: this).

Also, in one of the above steps I added a boot option "nomodeset" along with "acpi=force" but I am not sure if that helped or not.

Update: I guess the above "nomodeset" option caused Ubuntu to not load the video driver. This resulted in horrendously high CPU usage by "compiz" process. Removing that option caused the CPU usage to drop to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment